9/10/11

The Greiner Girls

Meet Anna and Isabella.

Yes, I know.  They're completely not Greiner-like.  That was what I was aiming for, but ended up with more like German Papermache-like.  At any rate, I grew fond of them while making them and their clothes.  They're sisters, and as so often happens, one sister is sweet and the other is...less sweet.  Maybe aggressive is a better word.  Assertive?  She refused the plaid fabric her sister was so happy with, and yes, I'll be checking myself in later for psychiatric evaluation.

They're 21" tall and weigh almost three pounds each.  That's not a lot until you pick one up and muscle memory says "Holy Cow this is a heavy doll!"  Steel shot in their butts...glamorous, no, but they sit up well and the weight is viscerally satisfying on a tactile level.

They're made of muslin, w/ paperclay head/shoulders, (hand-sculpted, no mold) and their clothes are a combination of linen, cotton, and old lace.  They each wear a petticoat and bloomers under their gowns, and while Anna has a shawl, Isabella doesn't seem to want one.  She may get an umbrella or something later.  Maybe a bonnet?  For now, they'll stay as they are. 

I hope you like them.  They're not listed on Etsy, and may not be for a while, so if you'd like to purchase one, email me for details. 








2 comments:

  1. Jan... Let's try this again! I've said it before: you move seamlessly between styles. About eighteen months ago, I became interested (o.k., obsessed) with Ludwig Greiner's dolls... In part, because of the impressive collection at the Wisconsin Historical Society, where we grew up. As well as his roots, here in the Philadelphia area, where we are now. I began working on a "historically accurate" reproduction Greiner doll based upon photos that I had found of his undressed dolls. More than unhappy with my work, I tossed it in the trash can! I have retained my original patterns and will one day, perhaps, go back to working on one.
    Having said all that... your two dolls are so impressive! The size, the weight (I can only imagine, given the shot... Ha!), and the details. Wonderful sculpting of the head and hair; very "Greiner" in likeness.
    Carry on... Daryle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Daryle. I think one of the things I like best about them is that they reflect a time before dolls were "babies". The "Lady Doll" appeals to me--in the form of the Greiners, German Maches, and the Queen Annes and Penny Woodens before them.

    I can't afford an antique Greiner, but I did purchase a head/shoulder made from a mold, so I could get more of an up-close tactile experience, (spatial?) and I think it helped with the sculpting.

    My husband calls them The Lead Butt Sisters. :~)

    ReplyDelete